Privacy at BBC Worldwide
Last updated: 27 April 2015
BBC Worldwide Limited (BBCW) is the main commercial arm and a wholly owned subsidiary of the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). It is a UK based company operating in countries around the world through its subsidiaries. The information in these pages relate to the privacy practices of the companies in the BBC Worldwide group, (herein referred to as “BBCW”, “we”, “our” or “us”).
BBCW respects your right to privacy and we take our related legal obligations seriously. We aim to be transparent at all times about our treatment of your information. You can read the full policy below for details about how your information will be used, when it may be disclosed to others and your rights in relation to the information we hold. If you find reading a policy a bit daunting or if you just want a quick snapshot of our approach then we suggest you start with Our Promise.
Who we are
BBCW exists to support the BBC’s public service mission and to maximise profits on its behalf. We do this through investing in, commercialising and showcasing BBC content around the world, in a way that is consistent with BBC standards and values.
We operate a variety of BBC-branded commercial services, such as TV channels, online shops, websites, games, mobile apps and live events. For more information please refer to our corporate website at: www.bbcworldwide.com.
- We will comply with applicable privacy and data protection laws and regulatory frameworks.
- We will only use your personal information to supply, improve and manage our services. Any additional or unusual uses of your information will be explained at the point of collection.
- We will only send you marketing emails if you have permitted us to (and you will be given the opportunity to unsubscribe in each of our emails).
- We will enable you to opt-out of usage tracking where possible; we track your use of our services to help us to tailor our content and advertising and to improve our services. We will not use information that identifies you personally but if you prefer, you may opt-out here.
- We will not share personally identifiable information with unrelated third parties for their own use without your consent. We may share your information within our group of companies so that we can provide you with the best customer experience across our brands.
- We will take appropriate steps to safeguard your information in accordance with industry standards but please keep in mind that no system can be guaranteed as 100% secure.
- We will only keep your information for as long as we need it: (i) to provide you with a product/service; (ii) to improve our services; and (iii) for legal and audit purposes.
- We will not actively collect personal information from under 13s and kindly ask that if you are under 13 you do not give us information about yourself or others.
- We will give you control over the information we hold about you by enabling you to access, update and delete your information in-line with your legal rights.
- We will take steps to ensure that our suppliers and licensees look after your information as we do, including where they are processing your information in countries that do not provide the same legal protection to your information.
In the course of providing you with our services and through your interactions with us, BBC Worldwide may collect information about you and about your use of our services. We are committed to being transparent in our handling of personal information and we endeavour to comply with applicable privacy and data protection laws in the territories within which we operate. This policy describes the types of information we might collect, how we may use it and the circumstances in which we might disclose or transfer it:
- Scope of this policy and your consent
- Information we may collect
- How we use your information
- Sharing and disclosing your information
- Where we will store and use your information
- How long we will keep your information
- Children using our services
- How we secure your information
- Your rights and choices
- Changes to this policy
- Contact Us
If you have any questions or comments about this policy or our approach to privacy please contact us at: email@example.com. We aim to reply to any queries within three working days.
1. SCOPE OF THIS POLICY AND YOUR CONSENT
Your use of our services constitutes your consent to the processing of your information described herein.
2. INFORMATION WE MAY COLLECT
The type of information we collect will depend on the circumstances and the service you are using. For example, to sign up to a newsletter we may only need your name and email address but if you want to attend one of our events we may need to know your contact details, payment information and any access or dietary requirements. Generally speaking, we will collect information relating to you and/or your use of our services in the following ways:
Personal information provided by you:
This is usually information that identifies you as an individual or that enables us to contact you and can include your name, home and/or delivery address, telephone number, e-mail address, data of birth, demographical information, interests, preferences, payment information and photos or video footage. It can also include information that we have not requested but which you have volunteered, such as information provided during interactions with our customer service agents or via comments or other submissions you have made to our online services, such as online forums.
Information collected automatically during your use of our services:
When you use our services we automatically record information about your usage of those services, your interaction with our adverts and our emails as well as information about the device you are using and your internet connection. We do this in two ways:
Log data: When you use our services, certain information gets recorded in our log files such as your device’s Internet Protocol (IP) Address, its unique ID, its operating system and location, and your browser type, the pages you viewed, cookie information and referral links (the link that sent you to a particular page).
Tracking technologies (cookies): In conjunction with our log data we may use tracking technologies such as tags on our web pages and small data files which we store on your device (known as “cookies”). These technologies enable us to recognise your device and to track your interaction with our services, emails and adverts. We do not use these technologies to identify you and we do not intentionally collect or record personally identifiable information through these technologies. See our Cookies Policy for more information.
Information collected via social media and other third parties:
Information collected via specialist data companies:
We sometimes use specialist data companies to provide us with information they hold about you to enable us to better tailor our advertising. For example, we might use anonymous information about your browsing on other sites to enable us to infer your interests and to put you into appropriate “market segments”. This information is not used to identify you as a person and we do not attempt to combine it with personally identifying information that we may hold. See our Cookies Policy for more information.
3. HOW WE USE YOUR INFORMATION
We will use your information: (i) to deliver, improve and personalise our services to you in accordance with your preferences: and (ii) for our own legitimate business purposes and needs. Specifically, we may use your information to:
- fulfil your product orders or to provide the service or information you have requested;
- administer your account(s);
- send you service related communications;
- manage our competitions (including publishing the names of winners where required);
- respond to your requests and feedback;
- contact you about a submission you have made to our online services (refer to our Code of Conduct);
- analyse and/or improve our services;
- personalise the way BBCW content is presented to you online;
- deliver interest-based advertising based upon your browsing of our websites and others (find out more about our advertising and how to opt-out here); prevent fraud or other potentially illegal activities (including copyright infringement);
- block disruptive users and protect the safety of users of our services; enforce our terms of service;
- send you newsletters, offers and promotions relating to our brands and services and special promotions from our trusted partners in accordance with your email preferences; and
- manage our email suppression list.
Where BBCW proposes using your personal information for any other uses we will ensure that we notify you first. You will also be given the opportunity to withhold or withdraw your consent for your use other than as listed above.
4. SHARING & DISCLOSING YOUR INFORMATION
Information shared among BBCW Group Companies
To improve your experience of our services and brands, information about your use of our services may be shared between BBCW group companies for the purposes of research, analysis, marketing and ad-serving. In addition, a BBCW company may provide data processing services on behalf of other companies within the group. For example, most of our newsletter subscription services are managed by the parent company, BBC Worldwide Limited, which is headquartered in the UK.
Information shared with our suppliers
We use a number of third parties to perform business functions on our behalf, such as sending our newsletters, hosting our online services, providing our customer services and fulfilling product orders and processing payments. We only disclose the information necessary to enable these third parties to perform their services. Our suppliers are contracted to comply with our instructions and we require that they do not use your personal information for their own business purposes.
Information shared with other parties
We may disclose your personal information to law enforcement agencies, government/regulatory bodies, internet service providers and content protection organizations as required or allowed by law. For example, if you post inappropriate or objectionable content on our services or where we reasonably believe you may be in breach of the law, we may report your content and behaviour to relevant parties.
Sale or transfer of all or part of our business or assets We reserve the right to transfer your personal information in the event we sell or transfer all or a part of our business or assets so that the buyer can continue to offer you the online services. We will make reasonable efforts to provide you with advance notification of the transfer of your information in such circumstances.
5. WHERE WE WILL STORE AND USE YOUR INFORMATION
As described in the previous section, we may share your information with other companies in the BBCW group or with contracted third party service providers. These companies may be located in, or use IT equipment located in, countries different to that in which your information is collected. Where this is the case, we will take steps to ensure that your information receives an equivalent level of protection.
BBC Worldwide is a global company which is headquartered in the United Kingdom (UK). Your information may be processed in the UK and other locations globally including in the United States where it may be subject to access requests from governments, courts, or law enforcement in the US.
6. HOW LONG WE WILL KEEP YOUR INFORMATION
We will hold your personal information on our systems for as long as is necessary for the relevant service or as long as is set out in any relevant contract you hold with us, in accordance with our retention policy. Where you contribute to one of our online services, we will generally only keep your content for as long as is reasonably required for the purpose(s) for which it was submitted.
7. CHILDREN USING OUR SERVICES
Except where otherwise indicated, we do not knowingly collect or store any personal information from children under the age of 13. If you are aged 12 or under, we request that you do not provide us with information relating to you or to others. Please seek the guidance of your parent or guardian before using our services.
If you are the parent or guardian of a child who is aged under 13 and you become aware that your child has provided us with information without your consent, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will delete such information from our records within a reasonable time.
Depending on the service, we may also seek to obtain the consent of your parent or guardian if you are under the age of 16. Further, we only send commercial marketing communications to individuals aged 16 or over.
If appropriate, we will take steps to determine the age of persons submitting their information to us.
8. HOW WE SECURE YOUR INFORMATION
We maintain appropriate organisational and technological safeguards to help protect against loss, misuse or unauthorised access, disclosure, alteration or destruction of the information we hold about you. We also seek to ensure our service providers do the same. Unfortunately, no system can be guaranteed as completely secure and there is an inherent risk in transmitting information over the internet. It may be possible for an unrelated party to intercept or access such transmissions unlawfully.
If you believe that your personal information under our control has been compromised, including access to any accounts you hold with our services, please contact us immediately using the details below.
9. YOUR RIGHTS & CHOICES
Communication Preferences and Opt-outs
If you wish to stop receiving marketing communications from us then please click on the “unsubscribe” link at the bottom of the relevant newsletter. Please note that this will not unsubscribe you from all communications, only the newsletter in the question and as such you will need to perform this action for each of the newsletters you are subscribed to. If you wish to opt-out completely then please contact us at using the details provided below. Please note that you cannot unsubscribe from some service related messages.
In accordance with industry standards, we reserve the right to retain your record for a reasonable amount of time so we can ensure that we do not contact you in the future.
Advertising and Tracking Technologies
If you wish to opt-out of interest-based advertising or other forms of “tracking” please refer to our Cookies Policy. Be aware that opting out of interest-based advertising will not prevent adverts from being displayed to you but they will no longer be tailored to your interests.
Access and Correction
If you would like to know what information we hold about you, you may submit a request to us by using the contact details below. We will use reasonable efforts to supply, correct or delete personal information about you on our files within a reasonable time or as required by law.
Some requests may be subject to a small fee and, to protect your privacy, we will require you to prove your identity before granting access to your personal information. Deleting your information
If you would like us to delete your information from our records then please contact us using the details below and we will respond within a reasonable time. Please note that we may be required to retain certain information by law and/or for own legitimate business purposes.
Additional information for California Residents
Please click here to read our notice regarding your privacy rights and for information regarding Do Not Track (“DNT”) browser requests.
11. CONTACT US
If you have any questions or comments about this policy or our approach to privacy please contact us at:
Data Protection Officer
BBC Worldwide Limited
Television Centre, 4A
101 Wood Lane